Saturday 24 April 2021

Inspired by nature

 One evening, I looked out the window and witnessed a beautiful sunset. It had a wonderful combination of colours. I've always enjoyed sunsets; indeed, I painted one for a high school art project, and it was probably the best painting I ever painted. So here I was, looking at the wonder of nature, and a thought occurred. What if I painted a model to look like a sunset? What if I painted that super cool retro model, that I'd just bought, to look like a sunset? What if I created the Sunset Avatar of Khaine? So I did.

I had already built and based the model, creating an imposing staggered set of rocks. I decided to paint the entire thing in the sunset scheme, using the feet of the model as a line of reflection, so the sunset is mirrored on the rocks. 

After much rapid painting, in my sketchy, haphazard style, the Avatar finally emerged, golden and beautiful. I tried out the Spiritstone technical paint too, and that looks great. I had to look at a Codex to know what to write on the loincloth, since this is my first Eldar model and I am not familiar with their language. I enjoyed painting my first Eldar model, and since I've coveted this model for 20-odd years, I am extremely happy that I finally have a painted copy. Thank you, Avatar, for showing me a good time!

By the way... I don't own an airbrush. People keep asking if I use one and no, I don't. None of my models have been airbrushed. I feel like a Defender of the Brush: you don't need an airbrush for smooth paintjobs!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leviathan Dreadnought

Today's mini is a humble Leviathan Dreadnought. This is one of the Forge World ones, which I bought just before the plastic one came out...