Friday 3 April 2020

Stomping you in a shiny new paintjob

This is my Imperial Knight Paladin that I built back in 2016. I originally painted it as a Freeblade Knight in an experimental colour scheme. I liked it at first, but slowly grew to dislike it over the years, and finally decided to repaint it. Since my other Knight is a Custodes Knight, I thought I should try my hand at a recognised Knight Household scheme. I also wanted to include the Knight in my Minotaurs army, so I looked for schemes that fit, or could be made to fit, with the bronze and dark red of the Minotaurs. I eventually chose House Taranis, which has a red, black and white scheme, and for which I had some transfers. I changed the normally bright red of House Taranis to a deeper red to match the Minotaurs. The white was tricky to do, as it always is! I painted a base layer of grey, then built up many, many layers of very thin white to get it smooth and solid. i then blended the white with the grey around the edges to create shadow. The rear of the Knight was not changed much, but I added some colour by painting some of the cables in greens, blues and reds, touched up the metalwork, and added some vallejo rust wash over most of it. I also painted the little eagle heads with vallejo bronze, to tie the model in a bit more with the Minotaurs. Finally, I repainted the base and added some cork rock and grass tufts.





This is what it used to look like! Quite an improvement, I think! I really went experimental on the previous paintjob, which in hindsight was probably a mistake on such a big centrepiece model. I will keep my experimentation to smaller models in future! It's not a terrible paintjob - I think the pauldrons have great shading, which I did with drybrushing, which was a first for me on such a smooth surface. I just don't think the colours worked, and the iconography has no real meaning or design - I just took some random symbols from the transfer sheet and applied them.

The missile pod is missing from the photo, but it did have one at the time - the pod is magnetised and so just wasn't on the model for the photo.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leviathan Dreadnought

Today's mini is a humble Leviathan Dreadnought. This is one of the Forge World ones, which I bought just before the plastic one came out...