Saturday 2 May 2020

May the hordes come forth!

I like mutants. Specifically, the kind of mutants shown in 2004's Eye of Terror Codex. They're a shambling mess of parts that vaguely resemble some sort of human-based lifeform, and I have always wanted to create something like that. I did make some early attempts, adding a some tentacles to some cultists or maybe an extra head, but I had neither the bitz nor the skill to really make them work.

So, in a way, it's a good thing that it's taken me so long to really have a go at making mutants. It's quite hard to get right: if you don't go wild enough, they don't look like mutants, and if you go too wild, they start to look too obviously cobbled together. The trick is to make them look bizarre but not like a combination of kits. I'll let you judge how successful I was:


This week, I've also painted up a piece of terrain that I've had laying around for years. I believe it was sold as an independent terrain piece, around 10-15 years ago. I have had it for at least half that time and I guess I didn't know how to approach it. It was somewhat damaged (most of the trees are missing) and it was painted very badly. I didn't know whether to paint it, cut it up, combine it with another kit, or what. So I left it. Eventually I came across it while sorting out my box of supplies and decided to just attack it. I covered it in a layer of zandri dust, and from there it came together quite quickly. In all, it took me about three hours and I completed it in one evening. To think of all the years it languished in a box and I could have painted it in three hours! Oh well, it's done now, and I look forward to seeing my models play on it!
 


here it is with the mutants lurking on it...



I also finished some more Black Legion cultists this week. Four are FW renegades and one is a 'Cultist of the Abyss' from Blackstone Fortress.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leviathan Dreadnought

Today's mini is a humble Leviathan Dreadnought. This is one of the Forge World ones, which I bought just before the plastic one came out...