Saturday 26 June 2021

Urkra'Gom, Bloodthirster of the Second Host

Wow, this is a huge relief. Urkra'Gom is a model that I started late in 2017, so nearly four years ago. It has been a difficult model to get right. Building it was tricky, involving lots of sculpting, sourcing of parts, and repositioning of limbs. I actually had to heat up the (plastic!) right arm and twist it round to get the axe into the right position. 

The model is based on Dorghar, Archaon's mount, with the addition of parts from the Bloodthirster kit. I removed the two extra necks and sculpted over the hole, and found a new piece to serve as the Bloodthirster's rump, instead of the tail.

Deciding on how to get it fixed to a base and what sort of scenery to include was the most difficult thing to get right. The model was laying down on its back for a couple of years while I mulled over ideas. Since the model's tail had been removed, it was without a strong base mounting point. Originally, I put a brass rod pin in the bottom of one foot, with the intention of pinning it to an mdf circular base. However, the length of pin that was exposed wasn't really long enough, and the base wasn't thick enough, so it wasn't holding the model up properly.

I left the model alone for a while (which was probably about a year!) until I could return to it and fix it. Eventually I had the cunning idea of building a base that had a flat surface to which I could glue the lower foot. The foot had a flat surface, and using poly cement to secure it to something plastic would surely work. After drying, the model was secure! Now I could happily paint it. Painting wasn't easy, but I perservered and eventually got a paint scheme that surpasses all of my previous Bloodthirsters. 

Urkra'Gom is an imposing model with a huge wingspan (it was difficult to get it in shot!) and will join my cohort of Bloodthirsters, representing the second rank of the Bloodthirster hierarchy. There are only 64 of these Bloodthirsters in Khorne's Legions, so second rank Bloodthirsters are quite rare. There is no record of what weapons they traditionally carry, so I decided to arm Urkra'Gom with two axes of Khorne, painted in glowing blue. 

He's finally done!

 










 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leviathan Dreadnought

Today's mini is a humble Leviathan Dreadnought. This is one of the Forge World ones, which I bought just before the plastic one came out...