Saturday 5 February 2022

Tasty American Treat

While I was visiting my partner in the US, we popped into a lovely little game store that stocked all manner of miniatures and games. As you probably know, I love picking up minis from other brands that would work as "counts as" in Warhammer 40k. Thus I spotted this Dungeons and Dragons Umberhulk that would work perfectly as a Chaos Spawn. 

What's fun about D&D models is that they come fully assembled. They're made of a softer, flexible plastic that is a little strange to the touch, but taking something out of the box and painting it straightaway was quite a nice change from all the construction I normally do (though I do love building and converting). All I had to do was mount it on a Warhammer-appropriate base.

The "Spawn" has now been painted with a sort of crustacean-influenced colour scheme that was quite fun and easy to paint. It was just a lot of drybrushing with various bone colours and washing with purple and red, before adding detail colours for the mandibles, claws and eyes. I think it looks pretty cool!


I also updated an older model. I was looking at Eldgrim Whitemane, Space Wolf Dreadnought, and I thought he was a little lacking in colour. Since the other Space Wolves have yellow pauldrons, I thought that was probably the source of my anguish, so I updated him, and now Eldgrim matches the rest of the army.

Before:


 

After:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leviathan Dreadnought

Today's mini is a humble Leviathan Dreadnought. This is one of the Forge World ones, which I bought just before the plastic one came out...