Saturday 10 March 2018

You win some, you lose some

Today, the Champions of Plufestea gained a vehicle and lost a vehicle: the one they gained is the huge Disilluminator. I constructed this machine, the personal transport of Lord Kellus, out of an old, heavily Chaos-ified Land Raider. I cut the centre section out (and this became this diorama scenery piece) and joined the front and rear back together with much bodging and green-stuffing. I then added the chassis from an old rhino, the head from a Knight Titan, two predator turrets and various other parts to create this mad machine! 

The paint isn't very smooth, because the original model had very thick and lumpy paint, and even though I used paint stripper to try and remove it, it was a long, arduous process to remove even one layer of paint, and eventually it looked smooth to the naked eye (which turned out to be an error). I actually started this project a long time ago - way back in 2016, I think - so it is a product of my old self, and I would probably make it very differently nowadays. I did make some recent modifications though, such as adding the pipes made with my green stuff roller.  

I spent a long time painting it, and save for a few touch ups, I feel I cannot make it look better, mainly due to the rough surface, but it's good enough. Sometimes you have to accept that a project is done and move onto the next thing (and I certainly have enough 'next things' to keep me going!)







The daemon engine that has been lost is the Forgefiend The Tormentor. If you see the original paint job, you can see why I repainted this model:



Oh dear, it's bad, isn't it! Look at the trim, and the flesh! Dear, O dear. So I decided to repaint it in the colours of the Black Legion and try to do this model some sort of justice! Here it is:






Much better, I hope you agree! Phew!

Today, I also finished a small terrain piece: a radar dish:






Until next week! Happy hobbying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leviathan Dreadnought

Today's mini is a humble Leviathan Dreadnought. This is one of the Forge World ones, which I bought just before the plastic one came out...